Thursday 15 March 2012

The A to Z of Me and a Broken Foot: Part 2

Better news. My operation is now on Friday morning (thanks to my mum-see 'M is for') so hopefully I will be on the road to recovery soon.
Anyway straight into 'The A to Z of Me and a Broken Foot: Part 2'


M is for Mum
Throughout my trauma of having a broken foot, my mum and dad have been great. My mum has been especially great and I have never felt like I have needed her more than now. She comes to see me, help me with things around the house that I can't do, brought me things that I need and has even removed the nail varnish from my toes that I could not reach! Without fail, she has been on the end of the phone to listen to my moaning and has also been there to give me a hug when it has all got too much for me, in the only way that a mum can. She knows when I need to talk and a bit of sympathy but she also knows when not to talk about my stupid foot and change the subject. This week, she played a blinder when I got the news of my operation being cancelled. Being in a bit of a state, I was unable to even speak coherently to ask why it had been cancelled. Mum managed to speak to someone in her calm manner and explain how devastated I was, hence me being put in for surgery on Friday. I can never thank my wonderful mum enough for everything that she has done for me and the Foot of Doom.

N is for Nick
If this was a generic A to Z then N would be for Non-Weight Bearing. However, this is my A to Z so it has to be for my other half, Nick. Calling him a legend is an understatement. How he puts up with me, I will never know, now more than ever. Since I broke my foot he has become a waiter, a nurse, a cook, a home help, a taxi driver and a shoulder to cry on. He never complains about what he has to do or how much I get fed up. (When I say he never complains, I mean he doesn't complain to me. The likelihood is that he probably vents his frustration with other people but I can't say I blame him. I don't hear him, so I don't know!) Am thinking about writing to the queen and asking him to be put on the New Year's honours list as I know how much he will like that!

O is for Old Age Pensioner
The Foot of Doom has doubled my age to that of a pensioner. I now sup more tea than ever, and especially love my 9pm cuppa. My fondness for elasticated waist trousers has grown, I sit sewing and can not leave the house without help. My cleaner has become more like a home help as I look forward to her finishing her duties and sitting down with me for a drink and a chat. I also have been absent from work, which I am seriously not enjoying (never thought I would say that!) so feel like I am retired. My body will get an awful shock when I have to go back and will also have to buy some more trousers!

P is for Pain
Obviously my foot has given me quite a lot of pain but I have had other pain too. Initially, I had pain in my hands and shoulders from the crutches. This was followed my pains in my right leg from taking all the weight. Now my rear end hurts from being sat on it constantly. Then there is the hip pain and.....YAWN! You get the picture. All in all, I am being a right old pain in the backside! Sometimes I feel like I am walking advert for paracetomols however if I was, I would suggest that they change their advertising strategy!

Q is for Quick
Why 'Quick'? Well, because with a broken foot, nothing is every quick! Getting dressed, even with practice, takes time. Mainly this is for fear of getting my foot caught in my knickers and breaking my neck or landing in my commode. If I cook or bake, it is a good 3-4 hour stint. It took me 3 hours to bake some very simple biscuits mainly because I have to slide about the kitchen on a chair as well as hang myself over the top of the fridge door to get anything out of it. God forbid if I drop anything! A rogue tomato fell out of the fridge the other day and rolled down the step. Poor Mr Tomato had to stay there until Nick came home as I knew that if I tried to get it, I would be more likely to fall head first right into it and spend my afternoon cleaning up.

R is for Running
'You will be running in no time!' People have said this to me in order to cheer me up. In fact, I have even said this to other people about myself to do the same. Who am I kidding? Is this because I am worried about my foot and think that it is not going to recover? Not really! Before I was graced with the Foot of Doom, running to answer the door could nearly be the onset of a heart attack for me. What on earth makes me, or anyone else for that matter, think that I am going to be running soon? Insanity has obviously set in as part of the cabin fever.

Part 3 to follow, if I make it out of my operation in one piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment