Monday 13 February 2012

We are sailing.......with a broken foot

Ever wondered what it is like on a boat with a broken foot? No? Well,  maybe you shouldn't bother even thinking about it. If you get a chance to wonder about anything else, grab that opportunity with both hands and run as far away as you can because, believe me, it's not the most enjoyable experience! What on earth was she doing on a boat, I hear you ask? Of course I wasn't on a boat but it damn well felt like it. Here is what happened....

Monday night was going to be exciting as we were going on a trip to Costco. Hardly being able to contain myself, (it is still just getting out of the house that thrills me!) I got myself ready in the car and then happily wheeled  round Costco when it first happened. At first, I began to inspect my wheels as I was moving along. Something was wrong. Did the wheelchair have a puncture or had I ridden over something that had stuck to the wheel? Whatever it was, it was having a very undesired effect on my wheels and was making the whole chair wobble. Continuing on, the problem was still there as I wheeled out to the car. As I was sat in the car, the realisation struck me. I was no longer in the wobbly wheelchair but sat in the car and yet I was still wobbling. The problem wasn't the wheelchair.....it was actually my head. Arriving home, I began to feel more and more dizzy and had to lay down straight away, feeling the need to sleep it off. How wrong I was.
Slowly opening my eyes the next morning, I could see and feel the entire room moving. Attempting to sit up made the whole room spin and every time I moved my head I felt like I was on a boat going across the Atlantic during a gale. Well, if this wasn't bad enough, I found that trying to walk with my crutches was near impossible. If you have read any of my previous blogs you may have picked up that crutches are not the easiest thing to use especially when you have my lack of co-ordination. This was now a hundred times worse. How could I walk when every time I looked at the floor, the floor seemed to move from where I thought it was? Feeling constantly drunk without the happiness or the joy of the alcohol made me feel like I was a victim of some cruel magic trick.
Thoughts running through went head went something like this: Woe is me. My life is over. How am I going to get to the toilet? How will I get food. I am going to be well and truly bed bound. I have 2 weeks until my pot comes off, how will I begin the road to recovery if I can't get out of bed? Woe is me. My life is so tragic!
Anyway, I had to find out what was wrong with me so I phoned the doctor from my bed. No, I can't get to the surgery, I have a broken foot and can't get out of bed. Why? Because I feel dizzy. Can you not pop in, we have an spare appointment? No. I CAN'T GET OUT BED! After all that, I finally had a doctor phone me back to inform me that I had labyrinthitis which is an inflammation of the inner ear. My prescription was to basically sit it out (unless it got any worse) and avoid making any sudden movements. Sudden movements? Well that must mean that my planned street dancing session was scuppered! Ha.
Afternoon came and I can safely say, I have never been so bored in my entire life. Moving my head in any direction was not an option so I just propped myself up in bed staring at the T.V. (which was also moving across the room).  Could my life get any worse? After Nick brought me a cup of tea, I began to feel a bit strange and attempting to sit up did not help. If I hadn't have felt so rubbish, I may have been tempted to break into song with a rendition of  'We Are Sailing' as my boat was well and truly bobbing up and down, in fact it was properly rocking. This feeling was swiftly followed by a lovely dose of 'sea sickness'! Holding my hair back from the splashing vomit, I continued to throw up in the bucket as the smell of my own sick made me spew even more. An all time low.
Thankfully, that was the end of the vom but the dizziness continued. Spending 5 days with a very dizzy head was not really what I had planned for the week. 7 days later, I still feel slightly dizzy but can manage to hop about a bit more so hopefully will be fully recovered by the time the cast comes off next week.
I have always believed that everything happens for a reason but this has really put my beliefs to the test and am struggling to find that reason. The only thing I can think of is don't go on a boat with a broken foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment