Sunday 5 February 2012

Snow and a broken foot

It snowed here yesterday and ,as per usual, the British media lapped it up and began warning us with tales of doom of how you must only make essential journeys e.t.c. What about me and my broken foot?  Did the snow have any effect? Slightly, but not in ways the ways that you think.
Loving the snow as I do, the first thing I wanted to do was wrap up warm and go for a walk and feel the  lovely warm glow of walking back into the toasty house. Well, not this year. Foolishly, I suggested that Nick could buy a sledge and pull me up to the shops to get me out of the house. Unfortunately, he wasn't having any of it. After that, I did actually think that even if he did, first how could I get into a sledge and second, how on earth would I get out of it? Imagine the sight, me laying on my back like an upturned turtle, trying to get up. I think I would end up making some very magnificent snow angels! Maybe not so much of a good idea. At first I thought that snow would make me even more of a prisoner in my home, however it hasn't. Remaining glued to the sofa, with the occasional change of scenery to sit on the commode, is where I will stay, snow or not!
However, the snow brought me out in hot sweats. Having a multi-fuel burning stove in the living room makes the room really cosy and I look forward to winter for that reason but last night, it felt very different. As I have mentioned before, my plaster round my foot can get quite warm. Yesterday, my foot seemed to be acting as a thermal insulator and taking all the heat from the fire and putting it into my foot. Feeling like it was going to explode, the Foot of Doom managed to conduct the heat around my entire body. This resorted in me having to roll my trousers up to let air get to my legs whilst I sat there sweating like I had run a marathon.
Tiny bit of snow
Yesterday, the snow stopped me from getting something I wanted. Nick likes his gadgets especially T.V.s and being the person I am, I do everything to discourage him to buy anything electrical. However, he has now decided that he wants a new T.V and as I now spend approximately 85% of my time staring at it, I too thought it would be a good idea. Sadly, with icy roads and the snow coming down, Nick decided that it was not really a priority to go out and buy one yesterday. Damn it. Strangely, I am now finding myself nagging him about buying a new T.V. The Foot of Doom seems to be making my life take very strange turns.
Today, the snow made me feel guilty. Looking out of the window, I noticed Ray across the road (my lovely neighbour who rescued me when I fell over) clearing his drive. He looked like he was really struggling with his back and I wanted to grab my snow shovel and help him. Obviously, this is impossible even from the start as the snow shovel is in the cellar and I can not get down there.
Finally, the snow made my living room curtain fall down. Why? Being an invalid who is seriously lacking in vitamin D from the sun, as well as being nosey, I constantly find myself pulling the curtain back to look outside. Well, maybe I've been hanging onto the curtain to make sure I don't fall over because today, as I was having a gawp out of the window, it fell down narrowly missing my head.

Note to self: If you are going to be nosey, do it carefully. Just like fire and water, concussion and a broken foot do not not mix!



2 comments:

  1. I can imagine you trying to make snow angels with that foot! I went to the hospital today to get that awful cast out and get a fresh xray. And guess what? The cast was supposed to come out on Saturday but now the doctors given me a new one which I gotta keep on for another THREE WEEKS! So my February is gone :(
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow is hell to get around in but it tickles my toes

    ReplyDelete