Friday 17 February 2012

Waiting for the day....

After the grand total of 106 days in plaster, there is a bright light at the end of that very long tunnel. In 2 more days, all being well, my broken foot will be released from plaster. How am I feeling? Very, very worried......

Any normal person would probably be filled with excitement. Any normal person would be looking forward to this event after so long. At the moment I am filled more with fear than excitement. Then again, I never claim to be 'normal'. What on earth could I be afraid of? Well, here goes.
Claiming that I like my cast would be a total lie. I hate the damn thing and there have been many days when I have felt like hacking it off. However, I have got used to it. I know my limits and have worked out how to move around the house as I need to. Being uncoordinated and with the added hazard of crutches, I have managed to bash my foot on cupboards, doors, steps, tables and the dustbins and the nasty pot has really done it's job and protected my foot. Yes, it has also developed a mind of its own but has really stood up to a bit of a thrashing. When the Foot of Doom gets a new home, will it be protected enough from my clumsiness?
Assuming that I will get some sort of boot from the hospital,I am seriously worried about trying to walk with it. Having not put any weight on my foot for over 3 months, I am under no illusions of how difficult it will be. Yes, the foot might be repaired but it has not had my weight on it (and there is a fair bit of that) and has 4 screws inside so I know is going to hurt. People I know seem to be under the assumption that once my cast comes off, everything will all go back to normal. If you are on of those, get your backside round to mine and have a good old feel of my leg! It is like sticking your fingers in a bag of tripe! Much to my distress, I also discovered that the 'tripe' has developed up my leg to my bum as well. What was becoming a firm backside, from going up and down the steps on it, has now become a wibbly wobbly butt cheek similar to one belonging to a very large baby. The muscle waste is like nothing I have ever had before. (I will refrain from from telling you to feel my backside as well so have tried to describe it the best I can!)
Put these things together and all in all, I am getting quite anxious, to the extent it is keeping me awake at night, about how the recovery is going to go, when will I be back to normal and other people's unrealistic expectations.
Despite all this, I have got a few things to look forward. Bathing, peeling the build up of skin off my foot, being able to get to my toilet instead of a commode and walking out in the fresh air are the things that I long for ! Also, I am praying the hospital tell me that I don't have to give myself blood thinning injections any more. Looking at the clock, I dread when injection time arrives and after so long, my stomach (which has also turned to tripe) is so bruised that it now resembles the colour of a potato!
After all this, if you don't know me in person, I am sure that I have just painted a glorious picture of what I look like. Previously,  I did used to have the body of a super model but this whole thing has really taken its toll on me (Did I mention that it has also turned me into a dreadful liar?)
Here's to Monday! Let the recovery commence.



2 comments:

  1. So..........how are you doing since your " release?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking. Been in a grump this week. If you read my next blog you will see why! Thank you so much for reading x

      Delete