Monday 27 February 2012

Knocking me down with a feather is not hard with a broken foot


Seriously, I don't know why I bother? Getting myself stressed about last Monday's hospital appointment was a total waste of time,tears and energy. All my worry had been leading up to this one moment but the result could have knocked me down with a feather. (Let's face it, with my balance and the Foot of Doom, a feather could just about do the job)

After a secret, worried cry before we set off, I had then managed to perk myself up. Endlessly waiting in my second home, the fracture clinic, I sat with Nick keeping my mind occupied and even sat singing to myself. Yes, this made me look like I was in the wrong place and should have been going for my head checking out but I didn't really care.
After X-ray, I then had a visit to the doctor (yet another one as I have not seen the same one twice). The pot was going to come off and I would be able to get in the bath therefore nothing could stop me, or so I thought. On reviewing my notes the doctor replied with the unexpected;
"Right then, we need to book you in for your screws coming out."
WHAT??????????? These were the screws that were neatly embedded inside my foot. The same screws that I had my foot cut open to put in and was sure that the cuts had now healed. The same screws that the previous doctor had told me would stay in for life! Nick spoke for me and said that we were told that they would stay in but the doctors answer was still the same. Well, that was it! My bottom lip started quivering and I almost felt like my ears were bleeding. I may as well have gone home at that very moment as I could not longer see or hear anything as the shock had taken over my whole body. Filled with panic and the thought of another operation, I just could not take anything in. Nick had been tentatively listening and fed back to me later. Apparently, the screws hold the joints in the right place but if they are left in, the joints will not move so I would not be able to move part of my foot. I was to see a nurse to get booked in for the operation that would probably be in about a week. Right then, I thought, get a grip. My life is a disaster but I can just about cope with a weeks wait.
Parma Ham, anyone?
After that shock, I was in for another that I was slightly more prepared for. The Foot of Doom was going to be set free from the pot. When the pot was removed, I was quite disgusted with what I saw. In front of me was the hairiest leg I had ever seen, that obviously belonged to someone else. That someone else must have been a 90 year old granny as it was shrivelled, scaly and did not match my other leg. Or a very underfed bear. On asking Nick what my foot looked like underneath, he pulled a strange face and the nurse said, " Oh, it's ok. Just a bit of dry skin on it." Well, look at this picture. Is this just a bit of dry skin? No! It looked like someone had coated part of my foot in slices of Parma ham. It actually made me wretch.
Next, I was given a boot. It is one that I would eventually have to teach me to walk again but because of the screws, I am still not able to weight bear on it. If Dr Who ever crossed a Cybernan with a rabbit, this is what I look like. A hopping cyber man. Or half of Robocop.
Next came the final blow to my rubbish day. Booking my appointment for the operation that would be 'in about a week', just wasn't.  The earliest date available for my foot being hacked to pieces was in 3 weeks time! Gutted doesn't even describe my feelings at that point. It's a good job that I wasn't holding something heavy because it would have hit the nearest person, who was the lady booking my appointment therefore would not have been a good move!
Cyberman/Robocop boot
Seriously, from the way that I was feeling, if someone would have knocked me with a feather I would have either fallen straight over or shattered into a million pieces and judging by the skankiness of my foot and leg, the latter option would not be pleasant for any of the surrounding public! Since then, I have been a right old misery and to top it all off, my left foot is now freezing!
Surely, it's got to be uphill from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment