Monday 9 January 2012

Perishing pins of pain banished from the Foot of Doom

Ever had a couple of piranha fish nip at your feet? My foot has felt like it has been nibbled for the past 7 weeks with the damn pins stuck in the side of it. Today has been the day that I have been strangely looking forward to. The day that the perishing pins of pain come out.

3 hours of going to different places; plaster room, x-ray, fracture clinic, treatment room, plaster room again and finally pharmacy. It's no wonder I am tired!
First my pot was removed using a small electric rotary saw which filled me with terror. I was convinced it was going to go through onto my leg. Then the true horror was unleashed. The disgusting, scabby, shrivelled, hairy leg was out for all to see!
This picture shows my x-ray this morning. Nick had been telling me how, when he had pins in his fingers, they were small and were just pulled out with a pair of pliers. This made me feel quite confident but when Nick saw the x-ray, he was strangely quiet. The four screws stay in there for life but the pins were on their way out.
Going to the treatment room was quite a strange feeling because it felt like I knew that I was being released from prison but knowing full well that I would be locked up again. The pot was off, pins coming out but I was going to be potted up again. Anyway, it smarted quite a bit but was over very quickly although I felt that I could have done with something to bite on! No anaesthetic, just a few deep breaths and a pair of pliers. For your enjoyment or interest, I managed to film the event (without looking!) and put it at the bottom of the page. Try not to cringe too much!
I now have a new, very tight, purple non weight-bearing pot and another 40 blood thinning injections. Oh joy!

On the bright side, I had slight release from the pot, got a morning out of the house and am rid of the perishing pins of pain

.


Enter your email address to receive my blog updates:Delivered by FeedBurner









3 comments:

  1. Ouch! What a show. Blue cast looks very snug; hope its not too tight. Keep your leg up. Sorry about those shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your message. The cast seems very tight- am going to give it a few days before I start worrying about if it is cutting the circulation off! How's your mega pot doing? I am still having problems sleeping so I don't know how you manage. I got the best nights sleep when I had two consecutive nights drinking alcohol. Although it did not seem to make me drunk, it really helped me sleep. Wx

      Delete
  2. Is your foot in any way less flexible with the pins inside?

    ReplyDelete