Wednesday 18 January 2012

Broken foot, boredom, toilet seats and the Women's Institute

Well, since the perishing pins of pain came out, I would love to say it's made a huge difference. Aside from the twinging pain, nothing else has changed. I still have a non weight-bearing stupid pot on a stupid foot therefore I still can not walk. To top it all off, I am really getting bored. My recent activities would probably make me an ideal member for the Women's Institute.

That night, I spoke to a friend who is having a bit of a hard time and then followed that with getting Nick to help me have a shower. The combination of the 2, as well as remembering the state of my disgusting foot underneath the pot, managed to reduce me to tears. Laying on the bed, I just sobbed and sobbed, wondering when this is is going to end. In my whole life, I had never felt so hopeless.
Even with things to do that I can manage to complete whilst sat on my ever increasing backside, I am still getting fed up and bored. Growing lists of things to do on my laptop are appearing on my 'poorly table' but it is giving me a feeling of forced labour! I just don't want to do them because I want to do something interesting and not something that I have to do! Is this what community service feels like? (only without the community bit!)
One thing that is managing to curb some of the boredom is making things. Crafting, or 'being crafty' as some of my friends put it, has always been a bit of a thing of mine. However, the  'Foot of Doom' seems to be really pushing me towards baking (which I can do whilst in the wheelchair even though I make a mess), sewing and anything else that I can do for the sitting position. Biscuits, pecan pie, Mississippi mud pie, mega fruity cake, mince pies, decorations for dining chairs, and needle-holder are all part of my 'portfolio'. The other week, I even made my Christmas cards for next year! How ridiculous is that? Yes, I am still having the usual accidents, especially when baking but with my amount of cake making, I am starting to wonder if I should join the Women's Institute, providing they would do home visits. The only thing is, there would be not naked calendar shots for me. The main reason being that the pot would strictly not make me naked! (No other reason of course!)
My most recent accident was nothing to do with baking but my other favourite past time-going to the toilet! As I find it difficult getting on and off the toilet, I sort of slide onto it which has resulted in the toilet seat moving over to one side. The other day, I tried to move the seat back to it's proper position. However, I obviously had not thought this through properly and ended up catching my finger underneath the seat.This would not have been too much of a problem had I not been sat on the seat at the time. My full body weight, and the seat rested on my fourth finger. Crying in pain, I seriously thought I had broken it! It throbbed for about 3 days. Who would have thought that having a broken foot could cause such an injury?
Maybe my cabin fever is getting to me as I have developed a bit of a fondness for the Alan Titchmarsh. I was so excited when his show came back on Monday after a short break. No, the fondness is not in a sexual way. It is a sort of comfort feeling. Maybe when the new sofa arrives, I won't need that comfort feeling any more.....

No comments:

Post a Comment