Friday 15 June 2012

Cycling towards to light.

The light is definitely at the end of the tunnel. In fact it is so near that I can almost touch it! I am still finding it hard to believe that a few months ago, I was unable to walk. However, now a certain type of exercise is changing my life!



Just over a month ago, I attended one of my many physiotherapy sessions. As I previously mentioned, physio was not quite what I thought it was going to be. However, as time goes along and I can do more, it is becoming more and more frustrating at the little things that I can't do. For example, I can lift myself up on just my toes with both feet and my right foot on it's own. However, as stupid as it sounds, when I try with my left foot, it just won't work. Go on. You try it now. Imagine the frustration when one foot just won't lift up off the floor. Walking was also seeming to be a problem.
As I began to do very small walks, I noticed that my legs were becoming very stiff and achy and after mentioning it to my physiotherapist, she said I need to warm my muscles up before I go for a walk. Her suggestion was for me to get an exercise bike. Well, no actually, she asked me first if I had an exercise bike. Amazed at the question to which I could have answered, "Do I look like I have ever even sat on an exercise bike?",  I just told her that I did not have one but may look into it. (Obviously, I came away with no intention of looking for one!)
Returning home gave me an even bigger shock when I laughed and I told Nick what she said. He surprised me by saying we should get a bike as you can't put a price on rehabilitation! Damn. I did not want an exercise bike! I did not want one parked in my house and to be honest, was very unsure that my backside, that has grown considerable in the past few months, would even fit on one! Needless to say, four days later we had a lovely exercise bike parked in the living room! There was no getting away from it.
Trying to cycle, for just a couple of minutes before I went out for a walk, was a real chore. In fact after just 2 minutes of cycling, I was so exhausted that I thought I would not have enough energy to even walk! However, much to my dismay (and almost disappointment) it really worked. Walking was beginning to feel a bit easier.
After being sat on my backside for such a long time, as I have mentioned before, I suffered serious muscle wastage. Muscle has wasted away where I did not think there was ever muscle to start with and my body is just a big wobble! The exercise bike has a clever little counter that works out how many calories you have burn off so this, as much as I hate to say it, was ideal. I could attempt to build up the muscle, walk better as well as lose weight. It was perfect. (Maybe a miracle if it works but don't want to sound like a pessimist.)
That evening, after I had my tea I felt like a snack in the form of chocolate. The penguin biscuits were calling from the cupboard so I checked the calorie content and found that it was 106 calories. Not much so must be easy to burn off, I thought. Normally, I would just stuff my face with it and in ten minutes forget that I had even eaten it, but not this time. No, I was going to work for it. Confidently, I sat on the exercise bike and began peddling. Afer more and more peddling, I checked the calorie counter. Was it faulty? How come I had only burnt off 27 calories? I was exhausted and was not even half way to achieving my chocolate. About 8 minutes later, I climbed off the bike having achieved my 106 calories. To be honest, I nearly fell off the bike as my legs were aching so much and I now not only limped, but limped like John Wayne when he just stepped off a horse! My backside felt like I had been sat on a razor blade! But I tell you what, I really enjoyed that penguin biscuit!
Exercise has always bored me and this was no exception so I have had to be inventive to make sure that I use the bike to exercise a bit more. A few weeks on, I found the solution. Now, not only do I sit on the exercise bike whilst watching T.V., I also sit on a cushion to save my aching bum. The final and crucial part of the enjoyment comes in the form of gin. Cycling feels so much easier when watching T.V and drinking gin and tonic at the same time! (and at only 53 calories I can have 2 gin and tonics instead of a penguin biscuit)
Cycling really seems to be helping me now and I am getting stronger and stronger with burning off 106 calories not feeling too bad. I feel like I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel that I was thrown into back in November. Gracefully, I am cycling towards the light at the end of the tunnel, complete with a gin and tonic in my hand!

4 comments:

  1. LOL!! Get well soon! I have the same issue when I try to stand on my toes. My foot is still so stiff :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will get there in the end, June! Think my career as a ballet dancer is over! Lol

      Delete
  2. Thanks for writing this blog. I very recently broke the 5th metatarsal in my foot with a prognosis of a 3 month recovery. Can't get around by myself, have to sit still, etc. It helps to hear about someone else that has been through it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading this. Writing this and knowing that people are reading has kept me just about sane! Don't give up hope. You will feel down at points, I have felt terrible some days, but it really isn't forever! Best of luck with your recovery x

      Delete