Thursday 17 May 2012

Breakdown in Asda


Don't over do it. That's what people keep saying to me and, to be quite honest, it really REALLY annoys me. I have been practically sat on my ever expanding derriere for 6 months. I did not put my left foot down for 4 and half of those months. I have hardly been over-doing it. However, I take it back. I am an idiot who should have listened to all those annoying people as I discovered the other Friday, although will still refuse because 1. they have not suffered the way that I have (woe is me etc. etc) and 2. because I am subborn!


My physio has been going really well but what I have found is that I can not believe how exhausting it is. Unfortunately, the day straight after my physio, I have noticed a pattern that goes like this: Wake up. Put my feet down to on the floor. Groan at how they both ache. Stagger (yes, I look like I drank 10 pints last night) to the toilet. Sit on the toilet for a long time contemplating life. Realise that I actually feel like I drank 10 pints. Go back to bed. Wake up again a few hours later. Decide that life is passing me by so attempt to get up. Stagger downstairs. Lay on the sofa. Moan. Do nothing.
It seems to be the same every week, I am just exhausted but it seems so ridiculous.
Anyway, the other week, my physiotherapist told me I had to stop using the walking boot and had to get used to just walking with my crutches. Hurray! No more looking like Forrest Gump. However, this was easier said than done. For a start, shoes has been as issue. I can not really get any on my massive foot so had to resort to a pair of sandals and pray that it did not get too cold. (Sandals and socks is never a good look and I don't care how my feet feel. I still have a bit of pride left!) Beginning to stagger about hurt just about every bone in my body but I had to push through that pain barrier. Walking round the block with Nick helped to build up a bit of stamina but I was really shocked at how far I walked before I got tired. Believe me when I say it really wasn't far. However, after a while, I decided that the real test would be to go to Asda and walk round with the crutches instead of driving round on a scooter. It was an exciting prospect!
Going round Asda felt good but I forgot that I could not carry anything because of the crutches so had to resort to trailing behind Nick as he pushed the trolley. He got what we needed and I just did...erm.... nothing! Towards the end of the trip, it hit me. That awful wave of tiredness that makes you feel like you have been running a marathon then hit a brick wall. It was the strangest feeling but it even effected my arms and I could hardly move. Managing to stagger to the checkout, Nick began to put the food on the conveyor belt as I stood at the other end waiting to pack it into bags. Well, the checkout man must have decided to play a cruel game on me and throw the food down the checkout as quickly as possible. Piling up at the bottom of the checkout, the food began squash and clatter as I frantically tried to cram everything into the bags. However, my 'frantically' seemed to be a normal person's 'go slow'. It was all too much for me. My arms did not want to work and my head would not communicate with them. I could not think what to do, my legs hurt and I felt like I just could have collapsed in a heap. Whilst Nick began undoing the mess I had made, I did the only thing that I felt capable of doing. I stood and CRIED! Tears rolling down my face, I attempted to hold back from breaking into a full on wail as Nick silently packed the shopping. If I did not look a little bit pathetic then, I never would.
Finally, we got to the car and I just sat and had a proper old bawl. Unsurprisingly, me and Nick did not discuss what had happened. He was probably too embarrassed, as was I!
The subject of my 'breakdown in Asda came up later on and we decided perhaps I had overdone it. It comes to something when you can't even walk round a supermarket without over doing it.
We've not been to the supermarket since. Maybe next time, I will just fall on the floor and have a tantrum instead! I'm sure that would be less embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment