Tuesday 3 April 2012

Moving on up (or walking) with a repaired broken foot

It's been a while, my faithful blog readers. Why has it been so long, I hear you cry? Well, I have been too busy W-A-L-K-I-N-G! Maybe a slight exaggeration. What I've been doing can hardly be called 'walking'. Currently, I make Forrest Gump look like an Olympic athlete but I really feel like my life has taken a U turn and am on the uphill journey, finally! Here's how I got there;

The day of the dreaded operation to have the 4 screws removed from my foot, seems so far away but then again, don't you seem to remember the horrible experiences more than the pleasant ones? Thanks to my wonderful mum, my operation was quickly re-scheduled, therefore moving it to a different, smaller hospital and what a difference that made. The whole experience was so much better than the last operation. All the way along, I was told what was going to happen including the fact that I would be home that day. Thank God! However, the thing that impressed me the most was that I was given 2 hospital gowns to wear, one for the front and one for the back. This meant that if I got up, anybody in the near vicinity would not be subject to the view of my rather ample, wobbly backside nestling in the pair of attractive paper knickers!
Before I knew it, I was being wheeled away to be put to sleep. Just like on the last operation, I am ashamed to say that my wimpy persona took over and I was crying and shaking like a leaf. The anaesthetist described it as 'a large glass of Chardonnay' and I was not sure if it was the gas or the drugs that were being pumped into my veins, but those 5 seconds before I went to sleep felt amazing. I was floating and I distinctly remember saying, 'That's nice,' before I nodded off.
The next thing that I knew was I was coming round and being asked if I wanted a cup if tea and a biscuit. After not eating and drinking for the past 14 hours, my mouth felt like a scabby donkey and that cup of tea could have been a cup of wee for all I cared. I guzzled it down like there was no tomorrow.
A little while later, the physio came round, made my put on my mega walking boot onto my bandaged foot and made me walk using crutches but on both feet! Feeling like I should have some music playing in the background, something emotional like a Snow Patrol song, I nervously took my first steps. Terrified, doesn't even cover it. My right leg did not want to move off the floor, knowing that all the weight would be put on to my bad foot. I had not walked for 4 and a half months so I wasn't too convinced that it was going to happen, but it did! No, I was not walking like I did before, but I stood on both feet and moved. I think I had some sort of hormone implant put in during the first operation because now I am far too emotional and cry at the drop of a hat. Walking felt particularly emotional and, predictably, I cried again.
Since then, I have been practising my 'walking', mainly in my giant boot. Luckily, there is a pub about 10 doors up from my house so my walking has centred around that with a reward at the end! (However, it is still difficult to get even that far.) I look like a right idiot in my big boot on but I don't care any more. It has been like a breath of fresh air, quite literally as I have been able to get out of the house a bit. It is still going to be a long journey and I know I will not be walking properly for a long while yet but it is definitely a step in the right direction. (Please excuse the pun)
After all of this, I was not expecting my life to get much better but a final delight came last week when, after being proud of me and my efforts at trying to walk, Nick finally gave in and let me have my way. Yes, he let me ride a mobility scooter around Asda! I had to walk across the car park to get there so think I earned it. It was great but hilarious as Nick walked quite a few paces in front, I think out of sheer embarrassment. They are quite speedy and beep really loud when reversing. If you happen to frequent an Asda in the north of  England and hear of a mobility scooter crash by a woman who has been abandoned by her 'carer', don't be too surprised if I am somehow involved!

3 comments:

  1. Aww congrats hun! You look so cute and happy! I hope your foot heals real soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June. It's going to take a while but will get there.x

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad for you this day has finally arrived - I mean the day you ride a mobility scooter in Asda with a big smile on your face :-) It's great to hear your operation went well and your foot is ready for walking! I know what you mean about the operation, I had 2 minor ones in the past under general anaesthetic and I loved the experience of falling asleep and then waking up in pure euphoria :-)

    ReplyDelete