Sunday 1 January 2012

2012; The Year of the Foot

After over a week of not writing my blog, I decided that I need to start up again. Sitting here, wedged into my usual spot on the sofa, I am actually wondering why I have not written it. It's not like I've been up to much. For some reason people have been asking me what I have been up to. Whilst I know that they are just making conversation, what do they expect me to say? I've been winter hiking up Ingleborough and also been taking lessons on how to street dance? Ha, if only!

On Christmas Day, we went to my parents for dinner. Much to my dismay, due to my predicament, I was allowed to sit in 'the chair'. Growing up, my dad always had his special chair that was his and his alone. Whether over the years of sitting in 'the chair' that it had specially shaped to his backside or maybe it was just the one that had the best viewing spot for the T.V, which ever it was, no one else sat in it! It was just known as Dad's chair, but today was different. Feeling like a member of the Royal family, I was ushered to 'the chair' with the special foot stool whilst my dad acted servant for the day. I had a really nice day apart from what seems to have caused me more problems than anything. Yes, you've guessed it...going to the toilet.
Over the past 2 months, I have slowly got used to moving around the obstacles in my own house. However, going to someone else's house is a different kettle of fish.Everything seems to be difficult. Crawling up the steps was ok but the landing in middle threw me somewhat and I almost had to shuffle on my knees to the next step. Managing to hoist myself up using the banister worked but Nick had to follow on carrying my crutches up. I did what I needed to do but that was when Nick had to come to my rescue again. One of the worst things had happened; I appeared to be stuck on the toilet. Without ledges around for me to lean on like at my house, I seemed to be super-glued to the toilet seat. No matter how much I tried to lift myself up, it wasn't happening. Worrying that I could be stuck there forever or have to call an ambulance to have my backside surgically removed from the seat, my pride slipped again and I had to shout Nick to help to pull me off the toilet. My life just seems to get more humiliating!Anyway, apart from venturing to the toilet, I had done nothing else but still arrived home exhausted with hardly any energy to even take my solitary boot off.
After that, aside from a trip in the wheelchair to look for a sofa (these past 2 months have punished our old sofa) and my friend taking me for a pub lunch, Christmas has been pretty uneventful. Me and Nick sat in and watched T.V. and gorged on very bad food on New Year's Eve so that was quiet. In fact, I think the highlight of the week was when I finally managed to stretch my arm holding my phone to take a photo of something that I have not seen for 8 weeks; the underneath of my toes on my bad foot. (It's grim, peeling and full of dead skin, I wonder if this is what leprosy is like?)
Me and my wheels
So back to why I have not written my blog. I have no idea! But I am coming back with a bang. I will be writing to keep myself cheered up and speed up my recovery. Never mind Britain hosting the Olympics; who cares? 2012 is going to be the Year of the Foot and nothing is going to stop it. (Unless we end up moving into house with a stand alone toilet!)
Happy New Year everyone. x

No comments:

Post a Comment