Tuesday 20 December 2011

A broken foot and sickness bug. Just what the doctor ordered!

Well, that's it. I now know that if the big guy upstairs is looking over me, he is trying to test my strength, will power and endurance. Why? Nick has got the winter sickness bug.
Last night Nick came home freezing cold and went to bed early. In our house that is unheard of. We have only had the fire going once this year because ever since I broke my foot, my pot seems to heat up my whole body, sometimes probably the whole house. I reckon that if I stuck my foot in the Christmas tree, the heat would probably manage to power the tree lights as well.
Anyway, all this is most unheard so I knew that something was wrong. At 4.30am poor Nick was spewing his guts up in the toilet and there was nothing I could really do. Morning came and Nick stayed in bed. He felt so weak and ill that he could not manage to do anything. Oh dear, I suddenly realised that this seemed like a cruel joke. Throughout all of my escapades with the Foot of Doom, Nick has been my rock. He has done his best to keep me positive and done anything I have asked him to. He has been my nurse, home help, cook, cleaner ......practically everything. What on earth was I going to do now? A broken foot and sickness bug...just what the doctor ordered (if that doctor was Doctor Evil)
The resemblance is uncanny!
Yes, I was being tested to the limit and no, I would not fail. Not this time. The Foot of Doom would not win.  Sliding down the stairs on my bum, I then went back up to save poor Nick by doing the best impression of a St. Bernard dog that anyone could do. I began crawling up the steps that seemed very much like the Swiss Alps.(cold and never ending) Hanging round my neck was not a keg of brandy but a brown bag with a bottle and a carton of juice and some paracetamols. The St. Bernard was coming to the rescue. (On that note, on peeking at my leg underneath the pot, I realise that there is 7 weeks of hair growth under there. Maybe the comparison to a St. Bernard is not that far off!) I delivered the goods and the rescue mission was complete, there was nothing else I could do for him. However my mission had not finished.......
As I sat at the bottom of the stairs trying to get the energy to pick up my crutches and move, I began to think. It's my birthday tomorrow, and very near Christmas. I can NOT and will NOT get this bug if I can help it. Reading up on the bug, I found that it is spread by poor hand hygiene and can rest on contaminated surfaces for up to 12 hours. Well, not on my watch!
The computer, the door handles, phones and remote controls all got a lethal dose of antibacterial spray. (I hope they all still work!) Setting about the kitchen, I managed to find some ingenious ways of trying to clean all the surfaces with Dettol. However, doing the washing up was my finest hour yet. After standing on one leg and resting a knee on a chair, I washed and dried the pots and rested them on the seat of my wheel chair. I then pushed the wheel chair across the kitchen whilst dragging my leg along on the chair to get to the cupboards. I amazed myself at how I managed to do things simply because I had no choice. Although yet again, I had another little accident. On the way back to the sink, whilst resting my bad leg on a chair and pulling it along, the chair seemed to hit a slippy patch. The chair went sliding from underneath me and I some how ended up straddling the toppled over chair whilst still trying to keep my bad foot up in the air. After this, I am thinking of entering Strictly Come Dancing on Ice as the graceful movement and finishing pose that I had just completed would have definitely scored at least a 7.
My house now smells like a hospital but I don't care as I will do anything not to get that bug. However, I will definitely keep you posted because, believe me, if I get it, it's gonna be messy and I will not be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment