Friday 4 November 2011

Part 1: How did it come to this?

How did it come to this? I am sat, in my living room, on a camping toilet which is basically a bucket with a toilet seat on! Any dignity that I had is lost as Nick walks in to ask if I need any help getting up! How did I get here? Well, here goes.

First of all, what possessed me to start this blog? Looking at the internet made me realise that there is not enough support out there for people with what could seem like minor injuries but actually can make them feel they have a severe disability. So as I lay here, writing this blog on my phone, it is keeping me occupied for a while as well as providing a bit of emotional support for others. At least I won't die of boredom and be found stewing in my own urine! Hopefully you will enjoy it.(reading my blog-not my urine!)

I will hold my hands up and say I am not, and never have been fit. As a teacher, who is very committed to her job, I have always found something else to do rather than keep fit. As a result, I am overweight which I do not feel helped towards my accident.
It was a very busy day at the start of a very busy half term. My "to do" list was getting bigger and I had plans to tackle it. I should have known, really, that today was going to be one of those days. It had started with the feeling of going to wee myself on the journey to work after a lovely couple of days with cystitus. Burning feelings in the pits of my stomach permeated through to other areas of my body so by the time I arrived at work, the quick heeled booted trot, to the nearest toilet, fired me into action! Before I knew it, time had moved on quickly ,"to do" list partially completed and the kids were ready to come in. I was then faced with a distraught parent who was in need of a bit of TLC (let's face it, who isnt?) I know it doesn't seem like much but this sort of thing puts its strain on you when all you really want to do is teach.
Anyway, break time and chocolate time arrived and I did my usual break duty. The usual squabbles over football occurred but one child seemed particularly perturbed. By the time I got to him, he was so frustrated that he had picked a fight with another child. Attempting to separate the 2 boys was the only option. However, on trying to pull them apart, gravity overtook which resulted in me falling to the floor on my side. Laying on the floor in my red coat and looking like a great big overcooked lobster waiting to be eaten, I had a feeling this was it. A bit over the top, I know, but that is how it felt! Dignity, respect and my own strength was now gone. Brilliant!
As I watched person after person hobble past me in the minor injuries unit, my swollen foot heated up. I knew what this meant and so did Tina, who had kindly stayed with me this whole time. However, neither of us said anything. I don't think I had prepared my mind for the worst. Crying and sobbing, all I could think about was how was I going to manage my job with broken foot? I'd like to think that I was an independent woman who liked to be organised. This was not what I needed....
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment