Thursday 17 November 2011

Part 10: Bottom wipers- I don't think so!

Being in my slightly immobile state, I have happened to stumble (bad choice of word) across something amazing. I've discovered a new world. The world of mobility accessories.

Wi-fi is truely an amazing thing. From my permanent residence on the sofa I have been able to research and buy things that could make my life easier. However, I have been amazed at the amount of stuff, both useful and ridiculous, that has been invented for immobile people. Never did I think there were so many different types of wheelchair available. If I so needed, I could spend a fortune. We've already invested in a portable toilet, crutch cushioned gloves, an armchair workout dvd, gel ice packs and the big kahuna.....a wheelchair with a leg raise.
There is so much stuff out there. For example, I do not need to suffer with sitting on a plastic stool in the shower. No, I can spend £91 on a comfortable purpose made shower chair that is cunningly combined with, yes, you've guessed it, a commode. From the things to help you put your clothes on, to the wheel chair blankets that are ridiculously expensive but seem to be nothing more than an ordinary blanket, my most favourite item is the Buckingham easywipe bottom wiper.
I am thankful and eternally grateful that I do not need this.....yet! If nothing else, I am pleased that I don't have to shell out £26.81 to buy a piece of plastic to wrap bog roll around and stick it up my bum to clean it. Firstly, I'm intrigued to know why it is 'Buckingham'. Was it made there or was it Buckingham inspired? Is there an unhealthy number of people in Buckingham who can not reach to wipe? Secondly, and more painfully; 26 quid? I'm sure that if I was that desperate to wipe my own backside and I could not reach, imaginatively I would find some household item to do the job just fine.
The mobility market is massive as I have found out. It is a scary place! On a serious note, it is very sad that there are people out there making a fortune out of semi or completely immobile people. Being stubborn will ensure that I don't spend silly money on mobility accessories that I don't really need. However, a word to the wise: if you pop round to mine and find a spoon in the bathroom just make sure you wash it before stirring your tea!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment